Dolphins are amazing creatures and here are some of their best facts.
1. Dolphins are mammals; they nurse their young from mammary glands and feed them with milk from the mother.
2. Dolphins can swim up to 260 m. below the surface of the ocean, even though they’re primarily shallow divers and they remain close to the surface. Dolphins can stay around 15 minutes under water although they usually stay only a few minutes diving before they go up to breathe. Dolphins use a technique known as echolocation to find food and navigate. Dolphins are social beings that live in groups and collaborate among each other for activities like getting food and calf rising. There are 32 species of sea dolphins and 5 species of river dolphins.
7. The largest dolphin is the”killer whale” (orca), which can grow to 6.1 meters long.
8. The most known dolphin is the”bottlenose dolphin” which can grow to 2.5-2.8 meters.
9. Dolphins are warm-blooded and their internal temperature is about 36 degrees. To conserve this temperature they’re surrounded by a thick layer of fat called”blubber” just beneath the epidermis.
10. The average botllenose dolphin brain weighs 1500-1600 grams, while average human brain weighs 1200-1300 grs. This is not a conclusive evidence of dolphin intelligence as many other elements might be the cause of intelligence according to Dania Beach Wildlife Removal.
11. Dolphins can make a special signature whistle that may help individual dolphins recognize each other or perform any other kind of communication still unknown.
12. Bottlenose dolphins can swim 5 to 12 kilometers per hour, though they can reach up to 32 km/h.